Sunday, August 9, 2009

Caucasus

Tbilisi--Georgia, August 9,2009

I had the most wonderful ride today.

It started a little strange, when I had gotten into a minibus/taxi for the ride from Yerevan, Armenia, to Tbilisi. I had my bags on board the rickety, smelly old bus and was about to board when four guys from Ghana showed up. There was not room enough for me and them, and so they kicked me off. That means I had to wait for the next bus, which would happen when another fifteen or so people showed up. That took about an hour, but it was not so bad because it meant I got front seat. And it turned out to be a beautiful relativey new Ford van (whose speedometer read in miles,not Kilometers).

But the best pat of the surprise was that about three and a half hours later, we caught up to the other van (which had left an hour before) when they got to the border. And, to make matters worse, the Ghana guys needed real visas (not like the stamps I needed, and the nothing needed by the other occumpants of our van). So, they would have an hour delay while we skated on past. We got to Tbilisi about an hour before the van which I had been kicked off of!!! Hooray for me.

The trip itself was pretty nice. The roads were paved. Maybe not completely smoothly paved--but paved. The countryside was green and peaceful. THe driver did not play the music so loud that you needed earplugs. It was nice.

The picture today is the sun setting on a cathedral in Tbilisi.

No comments:

Post a Comment